Monday, December 23, 2013

To Christmas and Beyond

Yes, I said it. Christmas.

Starting a blog just before the holidays was not my most well thought out idea. I'm sure everyone understands why I haven't written in a few days and will understand that after this post, it may be a few more again.

Sigh.

I've been at work today (just so this makes sense I work in telephone customer service) and I've found myself hesitating to say Merry Christmas. I'm extremely bothered by this because frankly I celebrate Christmas and I'm a firm believer that despite what the person you're giving the tiding to celebrates it, it is both polite and kind to wish them happiness without reservation. 

I'm not going to get into the argument of preaching. Preaching your beliefs to someone is completely different then offering words of blessing from your faith.

So why would I hesitate if I believe in showing manners to others?

One word. 
Fear.

Fear of someone blowing up because they mistake good tiding with preaching. Fear that all of a sudden I've become discriminatory towards other cultures/religions. 
Fear, because I don't want someone to use me so that they can play the victim.

Merry Christmas has become a derogatory statement.

It's been made into a swear word that can only be mumbled to friends or family. It's become the place to lay blame.

This makes me so tired because Christmas has always been a place to lay your burdens down and find peace. 

Just as a side note, no I'm not Christian.

And I don't have to be to see the beauty in faith. In all faiths. I choose Merry Christmas because that is the one I relate to, all of my childhood memories, the presence of family, the one that I celebrate. Christmas is a reminder of my late father and all the love he had for me. It's a holiday that I think everyone deserves to be told to be merry on.

When others tell me that their God/Belief/Religion cares for my happiness, I say thank you. Because someone thinks enough of me to use their deepest connection to tell me so. 

So, Today G+ friends I'll tell you the only thing left to say:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment