Friday, December 13, 2013

Til Death Do Us Part

Not A Wedding But A Story

Last night I made the extremely hard decision to kill off one of my characters. 
I've come to see that I'm not as excited about it as some authors tend to be.
But at the same time I've jumped forward in my writing to write his death because I need to get it over with. His death is necessary to make the story move forward. I need to hurt my MC's so that they can grow. Then I realized the character I'm killing off, hasn't had things easy. He's had his fair share of shit happen to him and honestly doesn't deserve to die. For that I am deeply sorry. I felt like I pulled a Veronica Roth by letting people who didn't deserve to live, continue to live and killing off the person responsible for my entire story. So, I looked up how she felt about what had happened in her book. Why she did what she did and what made her move forward with it, despite not wanting to. 

(Here's the link if you're interested: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=7769439873432760740#editor/target=post;postID=8109695578387587524;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=0;src=link )

And just like most readers out there I loathed her ending. It seemed pointless. But after reading her blog, I could see the light. I intertwined her connections and thought about everything I loved in her books and tried to see why it was important. 

In her blog I found a piece of the writer inside me and decided that good, bad, or ugly, when writing a novel sometimes shit just needs to hit the fan. So, I've decided when I rewrite my first draft, I'm going to make sure every reader feels the pain of this character's death. That every person goes, "What the Hell", because I want you all to care about him as much as I do. I want this death to be as horrible for you as it is for me. My only hope is that you all see the purpose of it. 

Maybe I'm just a little too sentimental right now. 
He is just a figment of my imagination.

Then again, I'm a writer and my most prized possession is my imagination...

3 comments:

  1. Feel for you. I bawled my eyes out when I had to kill off an awesome guy. Love what you say about hitting the fan being necessary. :)

    ReplyDelete