Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Perils of War

I've been defeated.

Yesterday I was kicked to the ground, then stomped on by life. It took nearly everything in me not to just call it quits, go home and create a cave of darkness that I could dwell in. 

Yesterday, I just felt stressed. 

I know that sounds common but for me it isn't. I typically handle pressure very well. I can actually function better under an iron hand or a looming deadline. But for some reason I simply hit a wall. And let me tell you, it wasn't pretty.

But life isn't usually pretty.

It's dirty, muddy, foggy.It's steep and rocky with hardly any straight paths to take. Easy isn't a word in its vocabulary and happiness isn't gifted.

No. Happiness is a choice each of us has to make everyday. And some days, like yesterday, I didn't have the courage to choose it. Sometimes I just don't want to be happy. You don't hear that too often, but it's true. Happiness is hard. It's a lot of work, a lot of pushing and pulling. It's a heap of decisions and sometimes I just don't want to.

But when days like yesterday happen, I simply forgive myself. Because I know that tomorrow, I'll hike up my boot straps and do work. I'll get the things I missed done and feel better for it. I can let go of my moments of unhappiness because I know they are temporary. 

So, here's my advice for today, for both myself and for you:

Don't let who you were, how you felt, or what you did yesterday define who you are right now. Let it go. You are the burden sitting on your shoulders, so how about lightening your load a little?

No comments:

Post a Comment