Saturday, January 10, 2015

#SaturdayScenes #TheBeginning

I'm posting this rather late. Okay, it's only 9pm PST but it's later than I would have liked. I am working on a new serial for Saturday Scenes and I was trying to get the first chapter ready to be posted. Although I tried it's not ready yet. I'm new to writing serials and I want it to be at least edited before I start posting them.

Instead tonight I am posting a scene from my novelette, The Beginning. This story takes place before my novel Red and is the introduction for my Guarding the Vila series. Right now it is being offered on amazon for .99! Red is offered at $2.99 currently. Here's the links:

The Beginning
Red

I am also offering free copies of both books (epub,mobi or PDF) for anyone who would be willing to review them. Please email me at ladieswhowritesg@gmail.com if you're interested.

:) Happy Reading everyone!

*
Dawn had yet to approach, the last echoes of night pushing on the window. I tried to prepare myself as best as I could for the day that lay ahead. My skirts had been worn for days, showing dirt and wear in every seam. I straightened them anyway, frustrated that I would die in rags. My face, hair and nails were so filthy, I looked like a beggar. I scrubbed at myself with such vigor that my once pale skin turned pink and raw. The water pooled black in the small wash bin, salted tears streaming down my face to meet the dark shallows. I pulled away, disgusted with the person I would die as. I grabbed my hooded red cape from the bed, the one Grandmere had made special, just to match the tones in my hair, and put it on to hide any emotion that may cross my face today. When there was nothing else to be done, I simply sat on the cot and waited, eyes too dry to cry any longer. I considered all of the things I could have done differently to prevent this whole mess. I continued to remind myself that this wasn’t entirely my fault. There were things I could not have changed no matter what I had done.

Bernard came to get me and my stoicism shattered into pieces. I didn’t want to die this way, in front of everyone and with such shame. I hadn’t had enough time in my life to do anything worth remembering. This would be the only thing left of me, of my family name. Bernard held a small amount of pity in his gray eyes, only making me want to beg him until that pity took over and he let me go.

“Bernard, please.” I choked. He paused for just a moment, hope rising from the pit of my stomach.

“Girl, there is nothing to be done. This is the only way; the peacekeeper has said so. Crying and begging are not going to help you.”

The tender eyes he had held just seconds before were now blistered in determination. I knew I had lost him and with that admittance, the only hope I had left was brutally wiped clean.

I fought, Bernard’s rough hands overpowering me easily, tying my hands up in knots. He grabbed the lead that had been left between them and pulled me from the room and out of the hall. The high sun burned my eyes and made them water when I was sure they were dried to the bone. I could only imagine the harsh red that had encased my normally pale skin. I looked around, wanting to find someone familiar but only saw strangers. I couldn’t find a single friendly face, one that I had known my whole life. I didn’t know these people anymore. We walked past them and they scrambled to quickly pile in behind us, loud whispers filling the air.

“I heard she killed them with her bare hands then fed them to the wolves. All to maintain her beauty. That’s why her hair is red. It’s from all the blood she has spilt. It is her cost for using magic.”

“Well, I heard she took a wolf as a lover. When her Mama promised her to Jacques, and then to Claude, she had to kill them and her lover was more than happy to help.”

“No, no, her Grandmere was a wolf. She was trying to protect her from the others. That is why no one has found the body—because she’s still out there, alive.”

The lies swirled, causing brilliant storms of rage to take over my sight. All I could manage to think was that if I was a witch, I would have already burned them all. How could these people, whom I had known my whole life, turn on me in a moment’s notice? I survived a horrible ordeal only to be met with another and they were gossiping like children! They imprisoned me because I survived. Because one man, consumed by grief, held hatred towards me while the town’s rumors simply fueled the fire. They should have been the ones to stand trial. I knew my thoughts showed clearly on my face when the people closest to me began to slowly move away. A circle of space was growing around Bernard and me. No one wanted to be near a witch when she was angry, and at that point I was almost glad for the rumors.

Through the trees just ahead I could see the glisten of Esperer Lake, the closest body of water to our village. The same one we would watch our Mama’s wash our clothing in as children. My feet stopped of their own volition, not wanting to take another step towards the water. Bernard tugged on my wrists trying to force my movement until I yelled with pain from the burn of the rope.

“Come now, girl. The more you struggle, the more they’ll think you’re a witch!”

I didn’t care what anyone thought at that moment. All I wanted to do was run as far and as fast as I could away from these people and from what they were going to do to me. I didn’t want to be tested. I didn’t want to drown. But the ropes burned so badly that I finally took a few steps forward and again when I couldn’t take the pain once more. That’s how we made our way to the water, him tugging until I yelped and me holding out as long as I possibly could.

By the time we finally reached Andre, the whole town had formed around to witness the events, mumbling under their breaths about the slow pace I was keeping. I was shocked he would come to ensure this horrific event take place. Betrayal tore through me and I Bernard and Andre pulled me down the rickety planks that floated atop the lake. They finally got me to the edge of the walkway just as the sun reached its peak. Bernard pulled out more twine and encircled my ankles and hands once more, taking the necessary time to ensure the bonds would not break. When he was satisfied that I was securely tied he nodded to Andre. The old man turned to address the crowd.

“We are here to test the crimes of Scarlett Chasseur, to see whether or not she is indeed a witch. The proceedings of submersion will go as follows: If she floats on the surface, while being bound, it is shown that Satan has filled her soul with buoyancy. At this point she will be found guilty and put to death by fire, as chosen by the butcher. If she sinks to the bottom of the lake, her innocence will be proven and she will be pardoned. Let us not drag out this terrible ordeal. Bernard, please begin.”


No sooner than the last words were out of his mouth did Bernard pull me to face him, his massive eyes turning cold. He quickly shoved me backwards, over the edge, before even a scream could erupt from my throat. Water overtook me as I struggled to reach the surface. My body burned with the need for air, and panic clouded my senses. The water seemed to be the last enemy I would ever face. They had won. The realization dawned on me that I was sinking to the bottom, and if I hadn’t been dying I would have laughed at the irony. I passed their test. I opened my mouth, wanting to scream in frustration and injustice, my body flailing with the need to survive. Water engulfed my lungs and took over every empty space inside of me. I was covered in it. I blinked my eyes rapidly, clawing at the incessant drops that touched me, burning from the inside out. Darkness was taking over my vision but from the corner of my eyes I thought I could see Grandmere’s form floating towards me in the distance. I reached my bound hands toward her in a last instinct of survival before the water’s depths took me.







No comments:

Post a Comment