Saturday, January 3, 2015

#SaturdayScenes #KillMatch

Hello Everyone! 

My #SaturdayScene today is rather short. This is my current WIP and I haven't gotten enough worked out to really give much else this week, but true to my resolutions I want to post every Saturday so I needed something. In this scene Libraria has noticed the boy who took her sister is in the market and she is determined to make him pay for selling her sister off to be a Gladiatrix (a female Gladiator).

This is a Dystopian Fantasy book that touches on grief, war and the ability for humans to completely disregard one another for the sake of saving themselves.

Enjoy!

*
I ran him down, taking in deep breaths like I had been trained to do whenever my heart rate rose. I needed to get to him before he reached the safety of his training ground. Once he was in their doors, I would lose. Again. I was stunned to see him out, sure that it was just my undying want instead of reality. But, there he was, true as the dust in our city. He was an idiot. 

I seethed, smoke practically sizzling off of me at the sight of him. He had taken her, selling her into the ring. The only way to make things right would be to beat him into a pulp before I figured out a way to rescue my sister. This wasn’t allowed within the city and if I was caught it would mean certain death, but I didn’t care. If I caught him now, I wouldn’t come back. I would find my sister and my family and run into the abyss that was the desert. I would refuge somewhere else or die trying but our ragged Etruscan would not be the one to determine my fate.

I would have been satisfied, complacent even, fighting their battles every week until I was old enough to be let go. I would have lived peacefully. But he had brought my sister into this, against all rules that only one child per family would be taken and his Lanista had made an exception. I was going to spend the rest of my life making them regret it. Rules weren't meant to be broken, unless you were going to break them all. 

I pumped my legs harder, gaining ground and seeing the tiny mark of a tattoo peak above his tunic. He turned his head just enough to notice I was still following before he kicked it up a notch. He was small and undeniably fast. He knew what he was doing when he had shown his face in the marketplace and looked to be enjoying this. He didn’t fear me the way he ought to and that only made me angrier. The harsh stone of his Lanista's home came into view. He was going to get away. I slowed my pace, watching him get further and further from me. I quickly search around me, thankfully finding exactly what I needed. If I couldn't beat him into submission, I would at least cost him something. The stone sailed true as lightening and a sickening thud echoed as it hit his neck. He staggered, eating dirt just in front of his safe haven. It wasn't worth taking the chance of his someone in his house seeing me so I stayed in the shadows of the building beside me, waiting. I sat until the sun reached its peak. He didn't get up.
  
Nero came into my quarters a little past sunset. His mouth was puckered into a frown that could have won a spot in the theater. I resumed pulling off my boots ignoring his presence entirely. He continued watching me and I grew irritated with his judgement. I sighed deep, throwing the ragged heel of my boot to the ground. A deep bang surrounded us, dirt falling to the floor and I sighed again, fed up with the quiet.

“What do you want?” His frown deepened even further, which moments before had seemed impossible.

“Heath was found at his doorstep today unconscious. When asked what had happened he said he was ran down, then struck in the back. He said he couldn't remember who had done it, but you and I both know who everyone is suspecting.” 

His eyes narrowed, threatening me to deny it. I stood, needing to gain any headway against the giant that he was, and shrugged him off.

“At least he had good enough sense not to rat me out. I was sure that little pig would squeal as soon as he woke up. But then he wouldn't get his beloved Kill Match. I guess he does have a heart somewhere.” I went to walk past Nero but his arm shot out, the muscles pulsing as they stopped me at the shoulder.

“This isn't a game Libraria. The minute anyone in the empire believes you are trying to break their rules, that you are trying to best them, he will kill us all. This isn't just about you anymore, so don't you dare drag the rest of us down with you after you've asked for my help. At the very least, think of your sister.” 

I roughly shook off his hand, deliberately pushing my shoulder into his side while walking around him. I turned to him, seething.

“That’s all I think about.” I spat before I turned and headed out of the room.





No comments:

Post a Comment