Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Everybody follow the leader, the leader...

Leader:

1) The person who leads or commands a group, organization, or country.

Antonyms: follower, supporter.

I've always had a habit, even as a child, of wanting to know the things that make other people happy and experiencing that happiness for myself. I love when people give me things or show me things that they enjoy. I love doing things that I've never thought of.

I copy hairstyles. Clothing. Games. Foods. Experiences. 

I am a copy cat and proud.

But I am not a follower.

Here's my beef with the definition of leader: the antonyms. 
To become a real leader you must first follow. 
To become a great leader you must support the weight of the group you lead.

They're not opposites at all. They're qualifications. 

I copy/follow the lead of others so that I myself can become a better leader and a better person. How can I do any good in the world if I have no idea what the world needs. 

Doing for yourself does not make you a leader.

It makes you selfish.

And if history is any teacher, it also makes you an enemy.

How is this relevant at all?

Its not. 

I joined a local book club hoping to make some female friends (lets be honest making female friendships as an adult woman is seriously hard). I engaged people found out there likes, their styles, things they thought were important or fun. There's a lady there that our personalities don't mesh well. She asked me one day was I was stealing everyone's ideas and why I didn't have any of my own. Honestly, I laughed. It may have seemed I was laughing in her face but I just couldn't help how childish the whole thing sounded. After I was finished laughing I just smiled at her and said, "If no one trusts your instincts you will be the leader of no one but yourself." She didn't like that. Not at all. 

So, I considered this an important thought to jot down for myself. And if others find some sort of wisdom or comfort in this post? I'm happy. 

Because it is perfectly OK to copy someone else (and I'm not talking plagiarism. That's a no, no). If you like someones style compliment them. If you're curious what brings happiness to the person you see everyday at the coffee stand ask them. 

Understanding and compassion do not make you a follower. 
Taking ideas from the tens or hundreds of people you've liked and making them your own does not make you a follower.

A follower is a person who does not have the want to lead. 
No more, no less.

So, if you're out there wanting to do more with your life and help those around you while doing it? 

You, my friend, are a leader.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment