Saturday, July 12, 2014

#SaturdayScenes

A Break From the Norm



This is only my second #SaturdayScenes but I am taking a break from Red. The editing is in the on going process and it's all on paper making it exceptionally time consuming to put it all online in an edited version. I don't have that kind of time today but I did want to put something out. So here is a short piece I did for a contest. I haven't quite figured out where it goes yet but I like it just the same. Hope you do as well. :)


       At 3:00pm every Tuesday I walk into the coffee shop on Main. I order from the young man behind the counter and watch the same guitarist play. She's young, only seventeen and there's no logical reason for her to recognize me, but I still pray every time that she will. 

      An hour goes by where she sings of abandon and heartache before she packs her things, pockets the tips and heads out the door. Her smile is always genuine despite the pain of her music and the patrons always ask for just one more. I know I have no right to feel proud, but for some unexplainable reason I do and I promise myself that next week I'll tell her as much.

     I trash my paper cup and head back to the apartment I'm currently sharing with two other women just like me. It isn't much but it's more than I've ever truly had and I can't stop smiling from the progress I've made. I'm only forty-two years old and I have an entire life ahead of me. One that unimaginably, has been filled with Opportunities that although I may not deserve, I will damn well not squander. I've given up too much already.

     This is coming from a woman who's made her fair share of mistakes, but I'm trying to repent. I've decided the best way to move forward is to remember my past and to take a chance for once on telling the truth. Maybe is she only knew the whole story she wouldn't be able to hate me as much as I do. 


It's short, it's sad and it's probably not enough to be considered a scene. But for now, it's what I have. I at least wanted to put something out there. Next week I'm pretty sure I'll have something from Red. 

Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting character exploration. Leaves me with questions (in that good, "I'm curious", sort of way).

    ReplyDelete